Friday, November 12, 2010

Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat

Well its like a spring day again here now after last nights blow, I've been round and raked up the leaves again which is quite a good workout as there were about 6 million tonnes of them, "whats heavier Dermot a ton of leaves or a ton of feathers? ahh forget it" there are hardly any leaves left on the surrounding trees now which is ok cos I couldnt get my blower to work, could be water in the fuel. If the weather was to stay like this for a the next 6 days I'd be a happy camper.

I wrapped the first of my Christmas presents earlier and will get them in the post this afternoon, at the moment it looks like maybe Alex my nephew and Sheena and Sacha may come for Christmas and a pal Keith for New Year, I hope so anyway as I'm in the mood for a party. I wonder if the Irish  go first footing ? GOGGLE : Ireland is renowned for traditions and superstitions – many of which have surrounded the New Year's celebrations. Long ago in Ireland it was customary to begin a new year with a clean house, so houses were thoroughly cleaned as it was thought that a spotless house was to be good omen for the year ahead. Ok that shouldn't be a problem.  Another Irish tradition that was carried out to bring in the New Year, involved banging on the doors and walls of the house with the Christmas bread! It sounds daft, but this custom was thought to chase the bad luck out and bring good spirits to the household. HMMMM is that code I wonder? maybe Christmas bread = Head, that would explain the fact that there are no post codes here.
In a small fishing village in County Kerry called Portmagee they go against the grain and celebrate the Old Year! This is a very popular event and they celebrate everything that happened that year with music and dance. It doesnt look like first footing is as big as it is in Scotland.

No comments: