Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rowan Trees

What a great tree the Rowan is it doesnt get too big has a wonderful show of white flowers earlier in the year and then a mass of red berries this time of year until the start of autumn. There is a saying that if the red berries are prolific then a hard winter is to follow if this is the case I may need snow shoes as the trees are full of berries.

Oh rowan tree, oh rowan tree, thoul’t aye be dear to me,
Entwin’d thou art wi’ mony ties, o’ hame and infancy.
Thy leaves were aye the first o’ spring, thy flowr’s the simmer’s pride
There was nae sic a bonnie tree, in all the country side.
Oh rowan tree.
How fair wert thou in simmer time, wi’ all thy clusters white.
Now rich and gay thy autumn dress, wi’ berries red and bright
On thy fair stem were mony names which now nae mair I see.
But there engraven on my heart, forgot they ne’er can be.
Oh rowan tree.
We sat aneath thy spreading shade, the bairnies round thee ran
They pu’d thy bonnie berries red and necklaces they strang.
My mither, oh, I see her still, she smil’d our sports to see,
Wi’ little Jeannie on her lap, wi’ Jamie at her knee.
Oh rowan tree.
Oh, there arose my father’s pray’r in holy evening’s calm,
How sweet was then my mither’s voice in the martyr’s psalm
Now a’ are gane! we met nae mair aneathe the rowan tree,
But hallowed thoughts around thee twine o’ hame and infancy,
Oh rowan tree.

Sorry I burst into song there I'll just slap myself and maybe blog about something less ehhh red.


Francis is just finishing installing the mantle piece and fire surround so I shall take some photos before I paint it, I,m thinking maybe a dark brown satin finish would look well, the skirting will wait till after the wood flooring is laid and that will finish it off perfectly, I,m glad the marble got removed even though it has cost a bit more than we budgeted for.


Have just had a lady and her son look at Marks car which is still sitting out on the roadside with a for sale sticker on it so hopefully that will sell.
I couldnt believe what I was seeing on Thursday on TV with Reuters TV footage of officers opening up with automatic weapons on a small group of men in blankets and t-shirts at Lonmin’s Marikana platinum plant, note to self dont take machete to my next picket line.

No comments: