Monday, November 4, 2013

First frost

Well it was "bright too early" yesterday and today may well go the same way, but it did stay dry and I have hopes for today again. The frost was only very light, just enough to whiten the grass, I thought it could be called hoar frost so shot the term through an online Thesaurus and it also means "showing characteristics of age, especially having grey or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"" I,m nodding my hoary head here after another successful search online.
The river had a mist above it, obviously the water temp was higher than the air temp this morning.

Today so far I have been doing a bit more patio stones removal, the Southern end almost three quarters down the house I did last winter. The patio is 5 pavers wide each paver is about 2 ft square, basically what I do is take up the middle 3 pavers and replace them with small stone gravel. It worked well this year apart from the dogs running over it tends to scatter the gravel onto the remaining pavers. The reason I am doing it is that the patio settled over time and the gaps between the pavers are different sizes and the weeds just love to get established in the gaps. the picture below is how it looked when we moved in.
I had just power washed all the gaps in that shot and it doesn't really show how bad they were. Anyway the easiest and cheapest way to smarten it up a bit was to replace them with stones. I better get back to it while the weather is good.

No comments: